Open Medical Publishing relies on a wide range of business models to generate the income needed to offset its operating expenses: journal publication fees, institutional sponsorship, editorial services for conferences and meetings, reprints, financial support from societies and associations, and private company sponsorship.
We often combine different models to fund our activity. This is because we believe that more opportunities of funding give greater freedom and self-determination.
Whatever the reality, we are well aware that sponsorship might imperil editorial independence: that’s why we have compiled the following sponsorship policy guidelines in full compliance with the COPE Code of Conduct.
When accepting sponsorship or advertising from companies, societies or other organizations, Open Medical Publishing applies the following procedures:
- all advertising (or sponsorship or funding) must first be approved by the publisher. Open Medical Publishing may refuse to accept sponsorship from any commercial enterprise, company or industry and will not be bound to offer any justification for its decision to do so;
- all advertising (or sponsorship or funding) is handled separately from editorial content. Sponsors don’t have control over the editorial decision, and more specifically:
- editorial and advertising sales administration are completely separate operations;
- editorial decisions are never influenced by potential advertising or reprint revenues;
- sponsors are requested to confirm this declaration of sponsorship in accordance with the aims of Open Medical Publishing to guarantee editorial autonomy.
- We are in agreement with the aims and objectives of Open Medical Publishing in doing our best to serve the scientific community.
- We believe Open Access journals recognize scientific and medical literature as a precious resource to be made freely available to everyone.
- We agree with the aim of Open Medical Publishing to promote international understanding by providing a forum for debate, and for technical and intellectual exchange between scientists and members of the medical and scientific professions worldwide to be made available to anyone in all countries of the world.
- We wish to support Open Medical Publishing in its endeavor to cultivate and nurture new communities of thought in a spirit of co-operation.
- We support Open Medical Publishing in its quest for scientific excellence and moral and ethical integrity in its judicial selection and publication of high-quality research papers.
- We confirm that we have no intention of taking advantage of our position as Open Medical Publishing sponsors in order to influence the editorial process, and fully recognize the risks inherent in any possible conflicts of interest associated with the financial support and funding of publishing enterprises.